Thursday, January 29, 2009

from linework to finished piece

After completing a third of the Flea and the Louse image in Photoshop, I decided it was too flat feeling, and I wanted to go back to colored pencil. I printed the image onto white drawing paper...despite the fact that I much prefer working on colored paper to show more of the paper's tooth.

Pretty happy with how it turned out, and it has raised my braveness level for working on white. Heaven help me if this book ever gets bought, though, because I'll have no clue what colors I used to make everything and will have to do it all over anyway. I like the zoom in on the poor bugs in distress and may use that portion on promo mailers before long. Laurent Linn said (in something I read recently) that promo cards should show action, and make you want to know what's going on. Sweet animals or children just posing get tossed in the bin straight away. Hopefully these fellows will show enough angst to intrigue.

2 comments:

The other me said...

Oh you are truly brilliant and you make me want to write a book so you can illustrate it...I have always wanted to write the Sophie tales from when she was 5-9 she did such unbelievable things!
I LOVE your pictures!

Anonymous said...

They are fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. :) I will buy the Helen/Stephanie books...no question!