I tried the Folgers coffee bags, and found they worked okay, although it took two bags to brew a mug (Who makes only 8oz of coffee? Really?) and it wasn't ground coffee, but rather a blend of ground and instant. They weren't cheap, either.
I wanted the taste of the real stuff without the hassle of brewing a lot. I wanted this to be easy.
And so the experimenting began.
The final result was this method that works beautifully!
What you need:
A tea kettle
Your favorite ground coffee
A 1 tbsp coffee scoop
A coffee mug
A coffee filter
A fine-mesh tea strainer (this is the one I got, but I found it at my grocery store for only $10 http://www.amazon.com/FORLIFE-Brew---Mug-Extra-Fine-Infuser/dp/B001JPA3Y8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336407624&sr=8-1 )
Step 4 -- Slowly pour the hot water into the center of the filter, making sure not to pour outside the filter as it'll collapse down and let some of the grounds escape into the mesh tea strainer. The mesh is pretty fine, but some of the grounds will be finer.
Step 5 -- Let it steep for a few minutes, then lift and tip a bit to let all the coffee drain. (You can see that I didn't pour carefully and got ground outside the filter. Hey, you try to pour a steaming hot kettle carefully while attempting to take a picture with your left hand! If you do get grounds outside the filter, you can re-pour your coffee through another filter, or just do like I do and let it settle for a minute and then just not drink that last 1/4 inch at the bottom of the cup.)
Step 6 -- Throw your coffee grounds on the mulch pile, let the filter dry so you can toss it in recycling, and enjoy a fresh cup of coffee that tastes like it came straight from the pot for only small change!
4 comments:
A friend shared this awesome gizmo with me http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-AeroPress-Coffee-Espresso-Maker/dp/B0047BIWSK/ref=lh_ni_t
I might have to get my hands of one of those!
Or you could get a bodum. Or Starbuck's instant coffees (they're quite tasty). Me personally I just brew two cups and heat the second one back up in the afternoon but I don't mind instant coffee either.
No instant coffee here anymore, Julie. Apparently they don't play well with my kidney stone-forming super powers. Once they were eliminated from my diet, I had to get creative. :0) There are so many cool devices for brewing a single cup, but this costs nothing and uses no machine or anything aside from the little strainer. I love it! :0)
Well then you've gotten rather creative indeed :) Well done!
Post a Comment